Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Funny in class.....

The funny professor !

Yes I am talking about my professor who comes to the class and starts writing on the board. After writing some chemical reactions, he starts to talk to the class.

His typical way of teaching and making the things easy is well known in my department. He always makes fun of his teaching assistant who should be as funny as he is himself to carry himself well or should perish under the jokes....

Some of his jokes go typically like this.....

" you see guys ! this method is killer when the reversibilities are of the order of 1 but you see, that in exams typically Ed will give you problems where this will not happen and then in combat conditions, I would not recommend using the reversibility analysis method ! but yes....its a killer method. "

A fly came near his face....he says...

" Ed I want you to come here and take this friend of your away from me.....it irritates me more than you ! "

while explaining a catalyst's performance his typical comment was " I thought gold might turn out to be a better catalyst. I asked Ed to calculate the thermodynamic parameters. but you see Ed din't help me. I was myself too lazy so I found a better way out and went to the reactor and threw my golden ring in the reactor anticipating better conversion! alas ! it wasn't a good catalyst...I only lost my ring! ( you see that though the catalysts are not consumed and gold is kinda inert, but yes..again...I am lazy to go and collect it there...)

"There are three ways to get the values of binding energies and local entropies. "

1. Look the literature. You see! There are infinite number of ppl doing research and generating data for you lucky guys.
2. If you fail to get the values, which often will be the case, knock the doors of the theoretical group who are always in search of these values theoritically. You see their life is better than that of mine. They calculate in a week's time and then they go out and have pizza and the entire group celebrates. So you see its so much fun....ya again the point was getting the values....sometimes they will also not be able to help you because either they would be busy having pizza or they would be busy calculating other values....so the last way to get that is to
3. calculate yourself....and to make the things interesting, the calculations are very slow. You can start the simulation, go out, have coffee...can have donuts as well( ya he likes donuts- I guess) by the time you return, the simulation will give the results to you.

" Ed and I were figuring how many problems to give you in the class exam. I said 10 Ed said 12. So you see ! Ed is becming stricter day by day ! "

" Well lets kinda figure out the rate determining step out of these 7 steps. I will become a claptometer. As soon as I take this chalk down the line, you can clap on the reaction which you think is rate determining and we will get a good estimate as I guess. " Once this was done, he says " So you see...! the claptometer actually does not work all that well..and you need to figure out why the reaction 3 is rate determining. Ed says it should be 2 the experiment says it should be 3 !!!!!!!!! So you see...even Ed can be wrong......but experiments are not....so I want all of you to think why this is happening. "

" Somtimes when all of you think and come up with a solution that is not actually the case, I fear if my PhD is under question !!!! "

So the jokes go on and the learning as well.....!! I remember my teacher who used to joke too much....!! things become easier in the class...!

More jokes might come up soon.
~ R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home